Our Fearless Leader!
Supplies to keep people warm in the cold.
Milk crates with socks, shows, and underoos.
And more Cots.
Even more cots.
Food & snack trolley.
These pictures don't even include our hallway overflow air mattresses!
Jackets rack for the freezing weather.
Serving our community.
During the winter months Unity of Springfield is an overflow emergency cold weather shelter offering services to the vulnerable population of Springfield, MO. We offer beds between October 15 to March 29 on days where weather conditions can be dangerous for unsheltered individuals. We invite our community to support our efforts in providing aid to individuals in need.
In our efforts to serve we are partnered with Community Partnership of the Ozarks and The Connecting Grounds. We are an all genders shelter open to taking in couples, families, and individuals. We do not discriminate. This includes, but is not limited to race, ethnicity, age*, gender, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, economic status, or any other diversity of background or identity.
*We do not accept minors into the shelter unless they are accompanied by a parent or guardian. We provide a safe place to sleep, but there are social services programs that provide shelter for unsheltered minors.
We are currently seeking three types of volunteers.
- Our laundry is dropped off and picked up at Enterprise Laundry Services. This business is very close to the church. A person volunteering for this position would pick up the dirty laundry at around 7:00 AM from the church, drop it off at Enterprise, pick up the clean laundry from the day before, and then drop it off to the church. Enterprise is located 1.3 miles away from Unity of Springfield.
- We are scheduling overnight volunteers in groups of two. During the overnight shift one person must be awake at all times. Volunteers may coordinate sleeping times so that one person is resting while the other is monitoring. We are doing overnight shifts between 8:00 PM and 8:00 AM.
- A sanitation person arrives at Unity of Springfield at 8:00 AM. They will do minor cleaning of the sheltering area and the two small bathrooms. Cleaning supplies are provided for this task.
We accept both monetary and tangible donations for sheltering.
Monetary donations to the shelter go directly to the sheltering efforts.
Please check back regularly because this list changes frequently.
We currently need:
- Sweat pants & sweat shirts of various sizes.
- Hot Hands (hand warmers)
- Biodegradable/Compostable paper cups.
- Instant Oatmeal Packets
- Cans of Vienna Sausages
- Nutrigrain Fruit Bars
- Tea Bags
- Swiss Miss Hot Chocolate
- Sugar Free Hot Chocolate
- Cups of Soup (add hot water to cook variety)
- Other single serving snacks.
These items can be dropped off at the church during our office hours or Sunday mornings or you can send us these items directly through the shelter's Amazon Wish List.