The Board of Directors
The Board of Directors is responsible for upholding the spiritual purpose of this ministry and the highest interest of the membership. In this regard, the Unity of Springfield Board operates differently than any other board with which you may be familiar.
The Board of Directors is committed to holding the vision of God’s good for this spiritual community and every person in it. Beginning with an opening prayer and saying together the Core Values, Mission, and Vision, they feel more connected to God, each other, and to everyone at Unity of Springfield. Going beyond any issues, conflicts and task lists, the Board knows that the higher good is already on its way. From this practice stems harmony, abundance, and joy that are felt throughout the community.
Made up of nine elected members and the senior minister, the Board meets monthly, usually on the third Monday of the month at 6:00 PM in the Sanctuary. All are welcome to attend. Approved meeting minutes are now posted on our website.
- Board members are elected to three-year terms, and can serve two terms consecutively before having to step down for at least one year.
- They have be a registered member for at least one year, and a regular church attendee.
- They should be an active member in extra-curricular church activities, and perform some kind of volunteer work for the church.
- They have to be able to meet on the third Monday evening of each month, from 6 – 9 pm, and attend special board meetings as required.
- They should be able to attend the annual board retreat, typically held in February in Branson, MO.
- Board members rotate during the month and each one takes a turn assisting office staff to ensure collections from every service are placed in the safe.
- Each board member, except the president, serves as a liaison to congregants over various departments of the church, including:
a. Education (Youth and Adult)
c. Social Events
d. Long- & Short-Range Planning
e. Marketing & Publicity
f. Employment (of church personnel)
h. Volunteer Service
i. Building & Grounds
- Uphold the spiritual purpose of this ministry.
- Uphold the highest interest of the membership in conducting the business of this ministry.
- Be conversant with these bylaws and establish policy for the operation of this ministry.
- Be faithful in attendance at services, board, and membership meetings of this ministry.
- Determine the business needs of this ministry, develop and approve an annual budget, and authorize payment of funds for those purposes.
- Administer the property of this ministry, both real and personal.
- Make determinations on the sale, pledge, or proposed financing of real or personal property belonging to this ministry except for decisions in favor of the sale, pledge, or proposed financing of real property exceeding fifty thousand dollars ($50,000) in value.
- As recommended by the Administrator, authorize the employment of all staff and personnel of this ministry and set and approve their salaries.
- Set dates for the fiscal year.
- Each year cause to be prepared a complete financial statement with disclosures, which will set forth the fiscal conditions and operations of the ministry.
- May approve applicants for membership.
- Act to fill the unexpired term of any Trustee.
- Elect officers of the Board, and their successors to fill any unexpired term when necessary.
- Ratify committees and their Chairpersons as appointed by the Board President.
- Communicate with the UWM Liaison Coordinator, or other selected mediator, for aid in resolution of all disputes between the Board of Trustees and the Spiritual Leader(s) concerning the Spiritual Leader's services.
- Consider other duties brought to their attention by the Spiritual Leader and/or other Trustees.
- Attend and actively participate in ongoing educational programs.
- Consider other issues brought to their attention by the Spiritual Leader or members of the board.
- Select an independent auditor every five (5) years, or as needed, commencing in 2014.
- Be responsible for the hiring and the termination of a Spiritual Leader. Such procedures shall follow a two-thirds (2/3) affirmative vote.
- Be responsible for the hiring and the termination of an Administrator. Such procedures shall follow a two-thirds (2/3) affirmative vote.